10 Great tips for your first step as a Tuition Tutor
You don’t necessarily have a diploma or a degree in education to teach tuition.
So how do I start?
These are the top tips for you who just started as a tuition tutor or tuition teacher:
1. Start by teaching a subject that you most like or easy. For example the subject that you have excelled at during your study.
2. Always update the latest developments in education world such as new syllabus, High Order Thinking Skill (HOTS), PAK21, STEM and others as Malaysian education system is always changing.
3. Review the latest reference and training books on the market that can be found at the existing bookstores that selling academic books.
4. Always aware with latest training book on the market and try to do the exercises.
5. Learn from friends, mentors and coaches who are experienced in this field. This is a simple way to reduce your risk of making mistakes
6. Attend seminars, courses, programs related to strengthening your skills
7. Look for information on the development of education in Malaysia on the internet such as recent syllabus, last exam questions, notes, and learning aids.
8. Communicate with teachers at school and educators about the development of the world of education. This is to ensure that we are able to know the updated of today’s education and students world. It may be different from our old days.
9. Be in the networking of people who have the same passion and interest in this field in order to exchange ideas and experiences besides being able to motivate themselves and be more successful in this field.
10. Diversify the teaching techniques so that students enjoy learning with you. With that, you are also have more confident and willing to teach. This will help your students feel encourage and improve themselves.
However, everything depends on ourselves. To have experience, we must start and take action!
At first we may find it difficult but over time it will be easy for us. Up to a level, it may not necessarily lead to a book as it is in the mind.
My own teaching experience was when I was working as a Multi National Company (MNC) company, then my friend, a full-time tutor offered me a job which he could not fulfil.
I still remember the subject was History for secondary school. With some advice and teaching techniques, I encouraged myself to teach.
It runs smoothly and the client is also satisfied with the teaching. It’s not hard to teach even more when it involves a little student.
We can focus on the advantages and disadvantages of the students and help them to overcome the weakness and master the subject. So, always think positive and renew your intentions every time you teach.
For more information about Formula to become a Professional Tutor please log on to Malaysia Tutor Professional